What are the Benefits of Cloud Backups vs Standard Backups?
The Difference between Regular Backups and Cloud Backups
‘Standard’ backup storage is usually a secondary hard drive or external hard drive which makes a copy of whatever is on your computer system. The backup is used if a computer is broken, corrupted, stolen, or out of service. Unfortunately, standard backup storage is often one copy of the data in the same building as the primary network. This makes the data backup susceptible to both natural and man-made issues such as fire, flood, electrical shortfall etc. Additionally, many standard backup systems require each user to remember to backup their system at regular intervals.
Moreover, non-cloud backup storage requires an up-front investment of an appropriate sized additional hard drive, indicating the company must foresee their current and future data storage needs. This often leads to a) buying too large a storage hard drive, which is never fully utilized, or b) buying a hard drive system that becomes full, requiring further purchases and the frustration of linking one hard drive recovery system with another. as technology and data protection improve, you are required to either spend more money to keep up and do regular data integrity checks, or risk security breaches. Either way, this approach requires ongoing and significant focus.
Cloud Storage is a model of data storage where the digital data is stored and spans across multiple servers (and often locations), and the physical environment is typically owned and managed by a Hosting company. These cloud storage providers are responsible for keeping the data available and accessible, and the physical environment protected and running. Organizations lease storage capacity from the providers to store end user, organization, or application data.
With a cloud provider like Canadian Cloud Backup, you can benefit from the following
- You pay for the storage you allocate. As your needs expand the cost will be reflected. Purchasing additional storage capacity at the best possible price is part of CCB’s service
- These expenses can be classified as operating expenses rather than capital expenses
- Storage availability and data protection is intrinsic to our storage architecture. Therefore, we are constantly enhancing our security and backup standards, at no additional cost to you
- Storage maintenance monitoring is part of CCB’s service.
- You have immediate access to a broad range of resources and applications hosted in the infrastructure via a web service interface
- Cloud storage can be used for copying virtual machine images from the cloud to on-premise locations or to import a virtual machine image from an on-premise location to a cloud image library. In addition, cloud storage can be used to move virtual machine images between user accounts or between data centers.
- Backup cloud storage can be a fundamental part of an effective disaster recovery plan.